We deliver the possibilities of data. YOU define what’s possible.
Effective use and reuse of our data requires an enterprise view of essential concepts, entities and attributes for cross-application and cross-departmental functionality. This is accomplished through proper management of metadata. Management of metadata is equally as important as the data assets it describes, and it must be managed accordingly. Metadata Management is key to ensuring enterprise-wide leveraging and protection of data with improved understanding and accountability.
The Metadata Management Lead will provide organizational leadership and set the direction for metadata which provides the means for identifying, defining, and classifying data within subject areas and enabling business users and IT to manage the context as well as the content of WDC’s data assets. Knowledge of metadata management best practices is critical to developing a robust and flexible approach to metadata management and to providing increased value to the information objects that are important to the organization’s decisions.
Essential Functions and Accountabilities:
- Implement a global metadata strategy and roadmap by partnering with Enterprise Data Management peers
- Manage metadata management framework including policies, processes and tools, and lead initiatives to mature current capabilities
- Ensure the adoption and refinement of metadata standards and enterprise-wide metadata management practices
- Drive the maturation of the Data Stewardship program to include the creation, enrichment, maintenance and use of metadata
- Define and implement a strategy and framework for the ongoing administration of metadata, and metadata tools
- Raise the visibility of metadata as a companion resource to data/ information objects, establishing metadata as a key part of the enterprise architecture
- Promote common use of the metadata management tools
- Develop a communications strategy to influence the positive reception to metadata management and the integration of a metadata-focused approach to information governance
- Build subject matter expertise and knowledge of industry trends in the areas of data governance and metadata management by partnering with industry experts and peers
- Strong understanding of data governance, metadata management, data quality, data modeling, and data architecture concepts
- Effective communication and stakeholder management skills with the ability to drive solutions among ambiguity and conflicting stakeholder needs
Education, Certifications, and/or Licenses and Experience
Any combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the following:
- Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree Business Administration
- Years of Experience (General Guidelines):
- 10 years combined experience overall
- Mandatory, 5 years in role with direct accountability for Metadata Management
- Preferred, 5 years in a data management role (Ex: data policies, data definition, metadata, data quality, data standardization)
- Highly desirable, 5 years in Data Governance/Metadata Management role within a LARGE corporation preferably high tech or technology manufacturing
- Strong knowledge based on experience with Data Governance tools such as Informatica, Oracle and Collibra, highly desirable
- Policy development/management and standards enforcement experience, desirable.
ABOUT WESTERN DIGITAL
Western Digital Corporation is the world’s largest data storage company with a leading portfolio of HGST, SanDisk, G-Technology and WD brands covering flash and disk-based solutions. Deployed by the largest and most prominent organizations worldwide, Western Digital solutions are everywhere, touching lives and enabling great value from the data they possess.
Western Digital is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. Western Digital does not unlawfully discriminate and complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law poster: Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law.
Western Digital participates in the E-Verify program in the US. For more information click here. Este empleador participa in E-Verify.