The FW Process and Tools team is partnering with WD’s worldwide IT organization to embark on a large and complex initiative to define and build a modern, best of breed DevOps infrastructure to accelerate Western Digital’s firmware development and validation life cycle. This infrastructure will integrate firmware engineering’s configuration management, continuous delivery, workflow automation, artifacts archival and distribution processes, supporting 24/7 automated operations worldwide to support Western Digital storage product development.
The Lead DevOps Engineer will collaborate closely with Firmware engineering and global IT teams to define, develop, and implement new Continuous Integration infrastructure / processes to meet this goal. You will enable developers to rapidly and accurately build and validate FW code, both locally and in validation labs worldwide. Apply your experience in the selection of DevOps technologies, and implement, maintain and upgrade the tools on the servers and clients. Lead project implementation across teams using best agile practices. Coach and mentor peers to learn, adopt and help support the new DevOps technologies
- Plan tool and resource roadmaps to meet continuous delivery requirements, including build throughput requirements, optimization of software license utilization, and optimization of infrastructure capacity
- Research and implement tools that meet firmware development’s process, reliability, and performance demands
- Develop and integrate tool chains to facilitate source control, build, and artifact archival and delivery
- Develop scripts, add functionality as needed to enhance third party tools
- Design in operational and quality metrics. Analyze metrics to support continuous improvement of the processes and tools. Mitigate throughput constraints
- Act as liaison to IT and peer teams for deploying solutions
- Maintain previous generation build infrastructure and processes, maintaining 24/7 infrastructure uptime while implementing the new infrastructure and processes
- Identify issues at the tool chain and infrastructure level. Drive solutions to resolve encountered problems
- Educate users of procedure and tool changes.
- Help in defining and implementing customer support infrastructure for tools as deployed by FW Development, in partnership with IT
- Minimum of a BS in Computer Science, Network Engineering or equivalent
- 7+ years’ experience in enterprise DevOps, configuration management, software development, and agile processes
- Experience in large scale continuous integration / delivery processes, tools / workflow automation
- Experience in developing, managing, and deploying containerized environments to large scale clients WW
- Design and rollout experience with Kubernetes, Vagrant, SCCM, Docker, Ansible, GIT, SVN, Gerrit, Jenkins, Zuul
- Experience with IT infrastructure, cloud computing and storage, DNS, file transfer protocol, VMs, servers, databases
- Programming experience in DOS, Windows, Linux, gnu, make files, compilers, assemblers, linkers, lint, HTTP, C, Python, Java, Groovy, Bash, Regex, database queries, server configuration
- Knowledge and experience in agile processes. Experience in the roles of scum master / product owner.
- Ability to debug complex problems, and collaborate in teams to integrate and roll out interdependent tools.
- Methodical in staging tools rollout. Achieve first time right results
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to coach colleagues with varying expertise