Want to be part of the Engineering team of Western Digital, with a development center in Belgium, Ghent?
Want to work on their latest Object Storage systems that delivers storage capacity up to 52 PetaByte? Want to write software for the ActiveScale Productline?
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer who wants to work on enabling concurrent File and Object Storage access in our Activescale Product line and enabling our existing feature set (like replication, versioning, OLM) with File based semantics.
We are looking for people that want to take their career to the next step by learning from some of the worlds brightest storage experts and contribute to a revolutionizing product.
When you want to (learn to) write software with a focus on Enterprise Quality, Performance, Scalability and Robustness, you should talk to us.
- Taking Product Management's input on new features and product enhancements, and translating this into well tested and well architected implementations.
- Drive features from demo's to production ready code through several iterations in our Agile development process.
- Assisting our Customer Support team with troubleshooting issues and optimizing Customers' setups
- Creating well documented code and the associated unit, component and integration tests, which are run through our Continuous Integration Environments to avoid regression and provide you with instant feedback on what you've written.
- Writing software in your favorite area of expertise, but able and willing to execute software-oriented tasks outside of your core capabilities
- Iterating on improving design and functionality and get the liberty and opportunity to step outside the beaten path in our quarterly hackatons.
- Whatever you create, as long as it's created from the perspective of our Customers, you’ll create value and get their appreciation for it.
- Master in computer science or equivalent through experience
- At least 5 years of experience with programming production level software in OO C++, Golang
- Good understanding of POSIX filesystem semantics, NFS and Samba
- Experience with algorithms for concurrency, thread safety and memory management
- Knowledge of Python 2.7, bash
- Basic administration & troubleshooting of Linux Ubuntu
Skills considered a plus
- Experience with C++ 14
- Experience in multiple programming languages or at least the willingness to develop skills in an additional language.
- Knowledge of Amazon's AWS S3 API, SDK's & tools
- Understanding of Cloud and Enterprise storage concepts and products
- Understanding of scaling concepts (sharding, KV stores)
- You enjoy working with other people and delivering features as a team. When the team is at risk of missing out on its commitment, you'll help out even if that means stepping out of your comfort zone.
- You're familiar with getting open feedback from your peers through code review and pair programming
- You’re used to working in a team with clear coding guidelines and high standards for code.
- You enjoy working with people from other cultures and time zones
- You like working in an environment that appreciates humor, fun and off-work activities.
Belgium, Gent, Ghelamco Arena
Only open for applicants with an EU worker permit.
- Member of the UDA scrumteam
- Reporting to Jense Seurynck