We deliver the possibilities of data. YOU define what’s possible.
This is a senior mechanical design engineering position for the Client Solutions engineering team.
Domestic or international travel will be required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Extensive experience in mechanical component design with experience in both metal and plastic parts fabrication.
- Experience in consumer or retail product development desired, but not required.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks or Pro-Engineer. SolidWorks preferred, but will re-train from Pro-E to SolidWorks.
- Demonstrated part ownership capability, including change management in high volume production.
- Specific experience in designing for acoustics, thermal management, EMI and mechanical shock, highly desirable.
- Coordinate meetings to gather input, make decisions, and reduce to practice the product’s mechanical requirements.
- Coordinate mechanical development with our internal team and any external resources such as contract, JDM/ODM or suppliers.
- Ability to own the technical content of the mechanical design on products. Working with the program management staff:
- Own the mechanical design for each product.
- Coordinate mechanical validation process, review test plans, analyze test results, and make sure issues are closed.
- Create, approve and release the mechanical drawings on each product.
- Control and manage the 3D mechanical design models/databases.
- Approve the tooling design and manage all tooling and design issues through HVM launch.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Experience with mechanical development for commercial products required. (Medium to High Volume (100K to 1MM per qtr)
- Experience with non-disk drive products is preferred.
- Experience in managing changes to products in all phases of development and production.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in order to coordinate resources in other organizations.
- Track record of successful product development for at least 3-5 commercial products.
- Experience working with contract and supplier resources.
- Very organized with strong documentation, tracking and detail management.
- Must have a solid project management background to work with ODM's in South East Asia.
- Able to manage multiple projects concurrently
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- BS in related field or equivalent work experience, plus additional 12 years related experience, or
- MS in related field or equivalent work experience, plus additional 10 or more years related experience, or
- PhD in related field or equivalent work experience, plus additional 8 or more years related experience
- Related experience means experience in mechanical design, engineering analysis, manufacturing and product development.
- Must be proficient in MS Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and statistical software package, standard engineering bench tools and specialized engineering and testing hardware, software and equipment.
ABOUT WESTERN DIGITAL
Western Digital Corporation is the world’s largest data storage company with a leading portfolio of HGST, SanDisk, G-Technology and WD brands covering flash and disk-based solutions. Deployed by the largest and most prominent organizations worldwide, Western Digital solutions are everywhere, touching lives and enabling great value from the data they possess.
Western Digital is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. Western Digital does not unlawfully discriminate and complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law poster: Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law.
Western Digital participates in the E-Verify program in the US. For more information click here. Este empleador participa in E-Verify.